AUI Inc. is a 100% New Mexico-owned and operated corporation with over 30 years of experience in heavy civil construction. Founded in 1981, as Albuquerque Underground Inc., we have evolved with the times and the industry to become a multi-disciplined and diversified company offering a wide variety of services. We changed our name to AUI to reflect this evolution.
At AUI Inc., our mission is “Providing safe, quality construction services and rewarding employment to enhance the communities we serve.”
We are passionate about safety and take pride in our work. We conduct every project with integrity and respect, and always strive for excellence.
Our Commmitment To Safety
Safety is AUI Inc.’s No. 1 priority. We have a zero accident goal. Our in-house Safety Director regularly inspects jobsites to ensure the safest working conditions and practices possible, as well as OSHA compliance
Our award-winning safety programs include extensive training and multiple initiatives:
- Field employees hold a minimum OSHA 10 certification.
- Superintendents and foremen have a minimum of a 30-hour OSHA training.
- The Safety Director oversees AUI’s extensive training programs that cover confined space entry, trenching and excavation, fall protection, hazardous waste emergency response, and CPR and first aid.
- New employees receive a mandatory safety orientation
- New employees are required to wear orange hardhats for the first six months.
- We have an aggressive drug and alcohol testing policy.
- We hold routine and unannounced job site inspections.
- We have weekly safety meetings at each job site.
- We encourage stretching exercises each morning to prevent injuries.
Our services include:
- Utilities, wet and dry
- Pipelines and related plant facilities, including pump stations and treatment plants and associated piping
- Structural concrete and bridges
- Concrete paving and channels
- Heavy dirt work
- Asphalt paving
- Trenchless technology, including pipe bursting, slip lining and manhole rehabilitation
AUI currently leads the region in trenchless pipe replacement technology.
Our in-house resources include qualified experts with industry-leading certifications. We have dedicated crews specializing in concrete, earthwork, asphalt paving, and utilities. AUI owns a full range of top-of-the-line equipment maintained by our fully staffed and equipped diesel shop.
Safety, quality, and integrity are our driving forces. We have successfully completed projects for numerous federal, state, and local government agencies, as well as private owners.
AUI is committed to customer satisfaction. We measure our success in our ability to meet or exceed our customers’ goals with respect to cost, schedule, and quality.
Where We Work
AUI’s New Mexico Contractor’s License Number is 20617, and our classifications include GA98, GB98, GF98, MM01, MS03, MM04, MS06, and ES07. We are a certified New Mexico Resident Veteran Contractor.
We also have state contractor licensing in Arizona, California, Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, Nevada, and Utah.
We’ve registered in states where contractor licensing is not available, including Oklahoma, Texas, and Wyoming.
We have also worked outside of the United States in the South Pacific, West Indies, and China.
AUI owns an extensive fleet of equipment that is supported by our dedicated Equipment Management Team and fully equipped, state-of-the-art maintenance shop.
This allows us to regularly maintain and repair project equipment, deliver equipment and materials in a timely manner, and re-allocate equipment to best meet project needs.
Our equipment fleet includes:
- 50-ton crane
- Wheel loaders
- Motor graders
- End dumps
- Transport trucks
- Asphalt and concrete pavers
Associations and Memberships
AUI is actively involved in the top industry associations and often holds board memberships with many of these organizations.
- ABC – Associated Builders & Contractors, Inc.
- AGC-NM – Associated General Contractors of New Mexico, part of AGC – Associated General Contractors
- ACNM – Associated Contractors of New Mexico
- CFMA – Construction Financial Management Association
- IPBA – International Pipe Bursting Association
- NASSCO – National Association of Sewer Service Companies
- NASTT – North American Society for Trenchless Technology
- NMRCGA – New Mexico Regional Common Ground Alliance
- NMUCA – New Mexico Utility Contractors
AUI strives to give back to the communities that support our business and are home to our employees and their families.
Some of our major charitable projects include:
- Carrie Tingley Hospital Foundation’s Mudd Volleyball Tournament
- Junior Achievement of New Mexico
- Erin’s Place
- Ronald McDonald House Guest Chef
- Teach for America – New Mexico’s Annual Golf Tournament
We also sponsor numerous community events throughout the year. Our employees volunteer their time for a variety of charitable organizations, both on their own and as part of AUI teams.